Pages

Adjusting Gait and Focus On The Run

15.5.17

Hey everyone!  I hope your Mother's Day was a good one.  Mine was really good considering that you know, I'm a stepmom. :)  But I am a doggie mom and that counts a WHOLE LOT.  Don't get me wrong, I like my stepkids but I will forever be doggie momma extraordinaire-- I was single most of my adult life and doggie momma is one of the best things I have ever done. 

Being momma to this 15 years old sweet boy is the best! #bestjobever

This week has been a week of adjusting.  So two weeks ago as part of my thorough physical, my doc took some x-rays of my knees.  During the physical she pushed a spot on the inner right knee and let me tell you, it was so damn painful that I actually yelled "ouch!".  The crazy thing is that I did not even know it hurt until she pushed her finger to that spot.  So, off I went for an x-ray and was diagnosed with slight medial compartment narrowing bilaterally-- basically a fancy way of saying I have osteoarthritis. So, my doc knowing I am increasing my mileage from the past 8 months, recommended I do a gait analysis because my knee mostly hurts when or after I run.  I am sure the fact that I am carrying around extra weight is not helping but thankfully, I have started to lose some of the weight.  Thank goodness for awesome endocrinologists.  Anyhow, I went ahead and did the gait analysis.

The pic below was from my camera from the top and you can tell that I am a heel striker from hell.  And the side view also shows the same. The sport medicine technician explained that by changing my gait, the shock absorption site will change from my knees where it is right now due to my heel strike.  If I adjust my gait to be a forefoot striker, the absorption site then changes to the ankle which truly I have never had any issues with.  So the plan is over the next three weeks to run mostly on the treadmill as I work to change my gait.


I have also been running outside combining asphalt and trail runnings.  And I have to admit that while trails tend to be more unstable, they are so much better on my knees!  Plus there is something about running the trails. It is just you and nature. I don't even need headphones. The music from nature is just inspiring.


I write those words and I am amazed because if you read a few posts ago HERE, you read about the medical issues I am having but ever since my doc came up with a plan of action, I am super motivated to get better and start feeling like myself... and I am already starting to feel better. 

And the fact that Minnesota is finally warm has me giddy. We straight up skipped spring and went to summer. And I am loving it!  Especially because I am focusing on a race. I am not a racer. I rarely participate in races because I do not like crowds; gives me the hives just thinking about it.  But I went ahead and signed up for the Twin Cities MedCity 10K in September.  I decided on that one because I have never ran a 10K race. It is a distance that intrigues me.  Plus the weekend promises to be fun and I don't know-- I have really been feeling like doing a race. I get that feeling once in a while.  This time I think it is about proving to myself that I am getting back to being the old me.  And I am ready to do just that.

I may be joining one of these awesome ladies: Week In Review / Sunday Fitness & Food / Fit Fashionable Friday / Friday Five 2.0 / Tuesdays on the Run/ Wild Workout Wednesday /

12 comments:

  1. I have two kids, but four dogs came before them and I still consider them my kids! There really is something so special about running on a trail. I have a few trail runs lined up and I am so excited. Good luck with changing your gait, it won't be easy but the benefits will be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap-- my doggies have been my kids for a long time. Now, only Jack is left though. Thank for the good luck wishes. I have a feeling it is going to be hard for me to change how I run but I will surely give it my all. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that your knees have been bothering you. I think trail running does help. Less impact. But I still need headphones wherever I go unless I am running with a buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love headphones but it kind of creeps me out to wear then when it is dark outside or in the trails. lol. I'm such a wheenie! :P

      Delete
  3. I'm a heel striker from way back--I've never changed my gait. But I do work with a strength coach and the stuff she's done has really helped me a lot. It's important to support those knees, so we work on making my legs strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I am going to check on that. I read your post this morning and definitely going to look into getting a coach. At this point, I think I need one especially for strengthening.

      Delete
  4. YIPEE for warmer days!!!
    Its so hard to chance a gait.. such a small adjustment but you really have to focus & feel it. I cant do it well.
    Dog moms totally need more credit!!!! I get up usually twice every night to let my dog out to potty - most moms can sleep through the night. I deserve flowers for Mother's Day for that alone ;) hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! You didn't get flowers for being a dog mom? Now that Jack is older, its as if he was a pup. He has to go out more often and usually around 4:00 am. Ugh...

      Delete
  5. Getting a gait analysis is so eye-opening. I've had some knee issues in the past and adjusted my running more to the forefoot/mid-foot than the heel, and it's definitely helped - though it took a pretty long time to transition! I hope you continue to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The warmth finally reached us up here and not a minute too soon.

    Good luck changing your gait -- it's not easy! I'm kind of missing the trails but haven't yet bought new trail shoes. I agree it is easier on the body (but I'm not sure about my feet!).

    I'm a cat & dog mom -- does that count double? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a heel striker too-- ugh! I worked on changing the gate in the past and them fall back into my old way. DOH!! Hopefully you have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a heel striker, too! I read up on it once and a lot of what I read said that it's ok as long as it doesn't cause you any pain, but now I'm worried it will in the future! I should start working on adjusting my gait, too.

    ReplyDelete